> This morning this server has become completely unresponsive to
> anything other than pings – no ssh or console access.

This doesn't seem like anything that would be related to smbd.

> I’ve needed to switch off the server to get it back.

That's unfortunate.  Are there any core files in /, /root or
/var/tmp or clues in /var/adm/messages.*?

If you have ILOM or service processor support, ensure that you
are set up for crash dumps (see coreadm) and, if it happens
again, issue a 'reboot -d' via the SP to get a crash dump.

Alan