*From:* Peter Taps <ptr...@yahoo.com <mailto:ptr...@yahoo.com>>
*Date:* August 8, 2010 1:11:56 PM PDT
*To:* opensolaris-c...@opensolaris.org
<mailto:opensolaris-c...@opensolaris.org>
*Subject:* *[osol-code] Is it possible to run multiple instances of
"smb" service?*

Folks,

I am investigating the possibility of having each CIFS filesystem be
part of a different AD domain.

I believe OpenSolaris box can be part of only one AD at a time.

Correct.

I am an OpenSolaris newbie. As I understand, the service responsible
for ensuring AD connectivity is smb. The FMRI is
svc:/network/smb/server:default. I am wondering if it is possible to
run multiple instances of smb service and configure each service with
different parameters?

Alas, it's more complicated than that; there's some global state and I
suspect (though I'm not an expert) that the kernel components of the
service aren't prepared to interact with more than one instance of the
userland components.

If this is not possible, can zoning help? As I understand, a zone
provides a virtual operating system abstraction to run an
application? Is it not possible to create multiple zones and sandbox
smb service within each zone?

Zones come closer, but I believe that at the moment you can't run SMB in
a zone.

Note that another way to achieve similar results is to have your AD
domains trust each other.  The easiest way to do that is to have them
all be part of the same forest, though you can also do it with explicit
trust relationships.  When you do that, the OpenSolaris system will let
users from anywhere in the trust network connect.