On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Jordan Brown <jordan.br...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> So you give the customer a hook for this, and let them do what they
>> have to to update NIS (or LDAP, or whatever).
>
> Possibly, but mostly I consider the "let the customer cobble together their
> own solution" to be an answer for the 1980s, not for the 2000s.

Uh, well, many organizations have legacy going back a long time.  They
tend to build and integrate parts of their infrastructure on their
own, so I suppose you could say you don't want their business.  But I
suggest that when you can give people hooks that allow them enough
freedom to use your product, you win.  The trick is to find the right
boundaries.

Just to be clear: I'm not advocating this particular solution.  I
don't think you should care very much about workgroup mode with
NIS/LDAP.  I'm answering only your point about customization.

Nico