Friends, berikut KESAKSIAN teman baik saya, seorang wanita Malaysia di Kuala
Lumpur, tentang peng-HARAM-an Yoga oleh ulama Malaysia, enjoy !

+

Dear Leo,

Just a quick note. I haven't been dropping in on Milis SI for quite a while,
but since I miss reading your quips and discourse, I did yesterday and got onto
some postings by some of SI veterans about the latest gaffe on Yoga over here.

This is just one of the many stupidities inflicted upon us by half-baked
religious bigots.

As for me and the likes of me, we don't waste a breath discussing it, we just
roll our eyes to heaven as we know that we live in different worlds and there
is no point foaming at the mouth over it.

But on the one hand, I actually do feel so pained by it all and at an earlier
point in my life I just might cry my heart out in frustration.

The Yoga ban is nothing but ignorance, also small mindedness, and jealousies
that while all Muslim women go about with their heads covered (never mind if
the covering is so bejewelled and the face so dolled up), there are Malay women
who don't (how dare they?) and in fact go prancing about doing Yoga and stuff
and enjoying it and earning good money from teaching it (there are many
exclusive Yoga centres operated by 'modern' Malay women here who have nothing
to do with Hindu philosophy).

In the end it is the same small mindedness of puny human beings no doubt they
seem to come from one particular religion (I suspect the latest carnage in
Mumbai has to do with them too, as in so many other places in the world).

But Leo, what I am dismayed about, which prompts me to write this time, is the
spirit and tone of what I read in SI. I hope I am wrong, but I sense again this
unspoken disdain about things Malaysian....

Does spirituality have national borders and boundaries?

Can we not be supportive of each other if we know any better?

Can we go a bit beyond merely passing remarks and instead be educational and
uplifting? God knows we need it at this time in the world's cycle.

Daisy

+

KOMENTAR SAYA:

Thanks Daisy,

It's nice to hear from you.

Actually Indonesians began to be "outraged" en masse exactly one day after the
announcement by Malay ulemmas or whomever it was who pronounced the haram
stuff.

In my opinion, liberal and open-minded Indonesians have this kind of
"perception" about Malaysia where the ulemmas are so unreasonable.

So, when things turned rather badly as when the Indonesian Parliament passed
the "Pornography Law", then one of the reasons cited for condemning the law was:

"Even Malaysia does NOT have a law like the Pornography Law".

Now, that kind of reasoning only justifiable when we accept the underlying
assumption MANY Indonesians hold about Malaysia as the place where "funny"
things happen.

It follows that If Malaysia does NOT have a Pornography Law, then Indonesia is
NOT justified to have one. Reason: It is NOT funny enough, or something like
that.

Sure, spirituality has NO border, it spans from the North Pole to the South,
and has NO color too...

No color
No time span
Nothing in between
Only You up there and Me down here who areĀ
ALL OF US

There is nothing haram or halal whatsoever, only CHOICES.

We choose whatever we wish to do with our own lives.

The stupid fatwa is only a memoriam, something to be recorded that ONCE we had
such, just that.

All the Best,
Leo
Milis Spiritual Indonesia <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritual-indonesia>.

      Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!

Kirim email ke