Am 11.04.2012 23:12, schrieb Murray Strome:
> .... and tried to cut out about 10 segments I did not want by doing:
> "setting in/out points, clicking on that area and then cutting"

> Only the last selection was actually deleted on my rendered output. Upon
> re-reading the tutorial, I now see that you can only set one in and one out
> point, which would explain this. So, how do I delete several segments from
> my video (including audio)? I see how to delete single frames, but that would
> be far too tedious!!! Is there a way to do this?

Hi Murray,

Cinelerra, like many (most?) non-linear video editing applications,
uses a different mental model to approach this kind of task.

The idea is to create "Clips" out of the raw source material.
And then, in a second work step, those Clips are assembled
into an edit. I.e., the final product is build up from small bricks.

It's done this way, because that comes close to the way film editors
are working. Whenever you cut away some frames from a continuous take,
this will create a visual jerk or jump. Thus, in conventional film
editing, this is *never* done. One avoids those jerks or jumps
by cutting or intercutting another view angle from the same scene.

This is a fun fact regarding the human visual perception.
Just removing a small part creates a very visible jerk, which
will upset and distract the spectator. But if you cut to a quite
different perspective (like intercutting a close-up of a person),
most people won't even notice the presence of a cut and perceive
a continuous stream of perception.

That is the reason why professional editors rarely feel the
need to "cut away" stuff from the middle of a take.
And thus it's sufficient to be able to trim the start and
end of a take.

Thus, the typical work-flow is rather to cut out
single Clips from the raw material. You can either drop those
clips immediately on the timeline, or you can just save these
segments as individual clips.

And then, the actual editing work (the fun part) is to assemble
those clips and build up something from them. This includes
experimenting and re-arranging stuff to your heart's desire

One thing which could indeed be criticised with Cinelerra is that
it is extremely focussed just on that single, conventional working
style. It doesn't support dragging clips around very well, and it
doesn't support "cutting away" so well.

It can be done, though. You could add the complete material to
the timeline first, and then mark a segment and "cut" it
(delete it). The material behind that segment will then shift
to fill the gap.
"timeline" == "compositor window"

When you first work on media opened in Cinelerra, you do so
in the viewer window, not the compositor window.

Cheers,
Hermann V.