Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your reply (and also to Valentino for yours as well). I have
tried your suggestion, and things look good.See additional comments below.

--- On Mon, 4/23/12, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CinCV] Rendering with Cinellera
To: cinelerra@skolelinux.no

Hi,

On 21/04/12 06:56, Murray Strome wrote:
[...]
> Should I be looking at rendering the Video and Audio streams separately? If
> so, what settings should I use (perhaps .mpg video and .mpg audio?).

This is what has proven to be the easiest for me, regardless of final format.
Once you find options that suit your needs you may want to look into
batch rendering to fire the audio and video rendering in one go.

This resulted in my .m2v and .ac3 video/audio streams OK.
[...]
> If I do that, how do I combine the streams into a standard NSTC style .mpg
> file containing audio and video compatible with the .mpg used to create DVDs
> and in perfect synchronization?

For the video  usually use the "YUV4MPEG Stream" for video. If I have enough
(lots!) disk space I just use the uncompressed one (no "pipe" option
selected), because it seems to be the fastest to render.
Otherwise I use it with the pipe option and this line in the pipe (I
think it comes straight from the cinelerra manual):

ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -y -target dvd -flags +ilme+ildct %

I only tried the pipe option that was the default, which did not work (some
kind of error I did not understand). It seems to work well enough without the
pipe.
[...]
For audio AC3 with a high bitrate (at least 256).

I just used 256.

Finally I use this ffmpeg line to mux them together (again I think it's
from the cinelerra manual plus some modification):

ffmpeg -i test.ac3 -i test.m2v -target pal-dvd -flags +ilme+ildct -vb 8000k
test2.mpg

(note that I mostly use PAL so in your case the -target shuold probably
be -target ntsc-dvd)
[...]
I used the above except, as you suggested, with ntsc-dvd. I used -vb 8500k. Is
this the same as -b?  I could not find the differences in the man page.
I just used the flags as you had them without understanding what they meant. I
have since found this documentation on:
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FFMPEG_An_Intermediate_Guide/Flags_Flags#ildct

ilme
Affects: Encoding, Video Codecs/Containers: MPEG 2 and MPEG 4. Interlaced fotage
Force InterLaced Motion Estimation, this
is only necessary if you are working with interlaced video. It will
force FFMPEG to maintain Quality with interlace footage. If you wish to
deinterlace your footage please use '-deinterlace' option, but this will
 cause a quality lose in the video. Rule of thumb is anything intended
is for television is interlace, any other delivery format is most likely
 progressive.

 ildct
Affects: Encoding, Video
Use when encoding Interlaced footage to ensure that FFMPEG doesn't field merge
your DCT. Only affects Interlaced footage.
Thus, I guess it is probably safe to leave these in.

Which usually gives satisfactory results.

One advantage of having the audio and video files separate with a high quality
video is that you can use those as "master" files to create different
formats (e.g. DVD, web etc.) outside cinelerra and possibly script the process.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Lorenzo.

Yes, Lorenzo, this was VERY helpful. I now feel that I can begin to try to use
some of the more powerful features of Cinelerra.  I have a lot of 16mm movies
that have been converted to HD video. The lab which did this did a fairly good
job, but most scenes need colour correction. Also, the frame rate was different
on many of the frames (usually 16fps, but sometimes 32 or 8 -- never the usual
24) so I have to adjust the frame rate. I had the conversion done with "no pull
down" so that the video frames correspond exactly with the original film frames.

Using Cinelerra is a bit more tedious than working with Pinnacle Studio in
Windows, but already I can see that I am getting better quality with the
combination of ffmpeg and Cinelerra, plus I much prefer to work in LINUX!

Thanks again for your help (and thanks to all others who have been so patient
with me and who have provided valuable advice).

Murray