>> But then there are cinema-oriented formats,like Digital Intermediates and
>> such.
>

> http://www.reduser.net/forum/printthread.php?t=2714&pp=10&page=310

That was all somewhat confusing... need equations :-)  But it's clear
they're talking about something not broadcast and not nonlinear
(gamma) full-swing.

> There is 10-bit log, where the white point may be around 700,
> rather than 940.  If you hardcode the white level to 93% those
> images will look dull out of the box.  But then again, they are
> usually supposed to go through colour grading to look right.

Yeah, even with the TV-standards, the practical handling is dodgy
across the board anyway, so I'm not talking about taking away or
trying to do away with manual grading.  It's inescapable.

> But which parts of Cinelerra have to be aware of the intended
> black-to-white range?

File handlers (input and output) and compositor display at least.
Color filters should at least be aware of white and black point, since
gamma should be based on black and white, not 0% and 100%.

>  I suppose a fancy colour correction plugin would need to know
> those levels, so they ought to be exposed in the API, though

Not so much fancy plugins, but just more often DTRT automatically.
The automatic/default choices should save work overall.  Right now you
have to be a) intimately familiar with all aspects of color handling
and b) apply the necessary conversion filters to every clip manually
to have a hope of getting it right.  And even then, the compositor
displays everything as if it's full-swing, making color correction
within Cinelerra hit/miss at best.

(I've at least modified/hardcoded my compositor to bt601 here)

Monty