Einar,
My error was in trying to fix the configure warnings ;

config.status: creating libfaac/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  'libfaac/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting
config.status: creating frontend/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  'frontend/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting

At the time I didn't know why ./configure wasn't completing & just tried to fix
everything.
I added datarootdir = @datarootdir@ to the Makefile.in's with warnings. This
morning I deleted
cinelerra-4.4 & uncompressed a new one from source. Patched it. The patches
work cleanly for me.
It worked mostly. I think my original problem was autogen wasn't installed.
./configure finished,
make didn't make cinelerra executable in the bin folder. There is only a
c_flags file in there.
Not sure what's wrong. You mention the bz2 lib, but I have libbz2-1.0.6 &
libbz2-dev installed.
So any clues?

Thanks,
Ned