Another Procurve vote here, I've been converted to the mid range 1U models - 2900 and 3400 for 10 gig support at sensible pricing. They're missing the kitchen sink functionality of the Cisco's, but at half the price that's fine, and I have yet to have a problem of any kind.
On 4/10/07, David Coulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Maybe my experience is different - When I had an issue, I got it > escalated to the guys who write the code who got into my switches and > debugged it for me. No e-mailing dumps back and forth. We're running > their release code on some switches and engineering releases on the > others, and we've not had problems. > > The code ~9 months ago was crappy - I'd give you that. It has improved > significantly since then. > > Ed Ravin wrote: > > On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 06:31:48PM -0400, David Coulson wrote: > > > >> We've had good success with the Netgear GSM7328S switches. 1U (but > >> pretty deep) with 24 10/100/1000 ports (4 SFP ports) and lots of L3 > >> features (OSPF, VRRP, Dot1q, etc). Probably sub-$2k if you buy it from > >> the right place. We push 100Mbit+ through a pair of them, and they don't > >> blink. > >> > > > > The best thing I can say about a Netgear GSM73xx switch I worked with > > last year was that it rebooted very quickly, much faster than any Cisco > > I've ever met. > > > > It had a tendency to reboot while it was running at heavy load and > > you entered silly commands on the CLI like "list interfaces". This > > was with the latest firmware. Netgear support seems to be completely, > > completely hopeless. I filed the problem on their web site, including > > the crash dump, and they called me back and said they would immediately > > escalate to "Level 2". A week later "Level 2" wrote back to us asking > > about our serial number, because they couldn't process the complaint > > without one. > > > > By the time Netgear called us back, we'd already bought an HP ProCurve > > to replace it. More money for the same or less features, but everything > > works, the support group actually answers questions, and comes with > > a real lifetime warranty. It turns out Netgear's "limited lifetime > > warranty" is only for a few years - that information is nowhere to be > > had on their web site, you can only find out by opening up a support > > query. > > > > Needless to say, I don't recommend anything from Netgear. > > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
