It all came down to egress queuing in my situation, we have oodles of bandwidth 
between POPS but bursty traffic was causing the calls to become choppy. It was 
only noticeable during peak times of the day and I noted that we were only 
pushing about 30mbit over the WAN.

WRR queuing with an expedite queue for voice traffic on egress ports on cat 
3550's was enough.
30 odd handsets spread over a Wan linked with 45mbit microwave between pops. 
POPS basically consist of a 3550 at each site. This whole QoS setup is in no 
way scalable, but I tried to pull it off at the start without QoS. If I had the 
opportunity again I would have built it correctly at the start.

As someone else has already noted in this thread, you cant predict the internet 
or what's coming out tomorrow.. So if you've got the opportunity to implement 
your QoS strategy during the design & implementation phase it's certainly 
better then later on down the track.

Regards,

Daniel Hooper

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Turnbow
Sent: Wednesday, 23 May 2007 3:21 PM
To: Nassess, George; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

Hi George
We run Voip services to enterprises and only do Qos on the (small) termination 
lines up/down with llq.
Otherwise the core has no Qos and plenty of bandwidth. 
Works great as long as there is bandwidth and the routers can handle the 
forwarding.
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nassess, George
Sent: martedì 22 maggio 2007 18.35
To: [email protected]
Subject: [c-nsp] VoIP without QoS

Hello List, 
 
I am in the process of extending our distributed VoIP call center to a
partner company, and their networking staff are extremely adamant that
they do not wish to implement QoS on their remote LAN, the DS3 link that
the voice traffic will traverse, or the core LAN in our shared
datacenter. I am fairly well aware of the arguments on both sides of the
debate of Mr. QoS (me) versus Mr. Excess bandwidth (them) but I wanted
to know if there is anyone on the list who has actually deployed an
enterprise VoIP solution without QoS, and whether the deployment was
successful as an ongoing solution or if QoS had to be added at a later
date. 
 
Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share, 
 
Gus Nasses
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
 
 
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to