Thanks Jon (and everyone) .. the information flowing in from the list has been AWESOME...;)
I'm playing with the idea that maybe we implement a few 7206VXR/NPE-G2's into our core/distribution and feed our 6500's from them ... we are a low traffic network (300-400Mbps routed/switched across the entire infrastructure) ... but then I wonder about that kind of traffic on a 7206VXR and take a complete 360 degree thought pattern.... What I'm trying to figure out is how I can come up with two P routers (for redundancy, not capacity) and a few PE routers. Having said that we have a GSR that isn't doing a lot of stuff right at the moment (Cisco 12012, dual PRP-2, engine 0 cards though), rest is 7206VXR and 6509 (sup2) based... if I could find a way to "wrap" our existing network - today the 6500's work perfectly for their purpose so I can find a way to leave them but bring MPLS in "around" them that would be perfect.... Budget is a HUGE issue which doesn't normally play well with the word MPLS involved...;) Paul -----Original Message----- From: Jon Lewis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:27 PM To: Paul Stewart Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: [c-nsp] MPLS hardware On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Paul Stewart wrote: > If we leave the whole VPSL component out and want to do "MPLS" - is there > any documents on Cisco.com that outline what the Sup2 platform is capable of > when it comes to MPLS in general? Somewhere I would think that Sup2 can do > *some* MPLS stuff or am I just simply wrong? ;) On regular interfaces/line cards, it won't even tag-switch (i.e. be a P router). If you want MPLS in the 6500, you need a Sup32 or Sup720 (3B or 3BXL)...and if you think full BGP routes is something you might want, then the Sup720-3bxl is your only option in the 6500. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Jon Lewis | I route Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________ -- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 10:19 AM _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
