Thanks for the responses I received on and off list to this post. Consensus is: 2611XM will not do 10Mbps or above.
I'll look into a 18xx or 28xx upgrade. Thanks! Adam ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Shore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Adam Greene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: <[email protected]> Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:09 PM Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 2611XM throughput > Adam, > > I had an identically configured 2611XM in service a couple years ago. The > CPU maintained 70-90% during peak times. At the time that was with about > 8Mbps passing through it. One night when the router reached just under > 10Mbps the CPU pegged at 100% (usually I only see Cisco IOS devices report > 99% but this one said 100%) and fell off the network (I'm assuming that > OSPF timed out). The ensuing flood of packets from behind the router > (cable modem network with about 400 users) easily exceeded the pps of the > router and kept the CPU pegged generating ICMP Destination Unreachables. > Even consoling into the poor thing was pointless as it took a couple > minutes to output a single character to the CLI. It had 2 ACLs of about > 40 lines combined and was running OSPF with one neighbor (50 routes). I > had a replacement 2821 overnighted to me the next day and I replaced the > 2611XM that night. The performance difference was very noticeable, even > with the same approximate throughput. The 2611XM introduced significant > delay. IMHO the 10Mbps ceiling is absolute if not exceedingly generous. > > The 2611XM is good as a CE with a couple T1s. Beyond that toss it on your > pile of 2500s and go buy an ISR. > > Justin > > > Adam Greene wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I'm trying to determine what kind of throughput we can expect from a >> 2611XM currently in production (IOS 12.3(24), 128MB RAM). The router is >> doing eBGP to two peers but only advertises one network and receives >> default routes only. Other than that it's plain vanilla. >> >> Cisco's router performance guide rates this router at 10.24Mbps (is that >> one direction at a time or bidirectional, I wonder) with an avg packet >> size of 64bytes. Judging from the # of packets and the # of bytes >> transferred on the unit's WAN interface, I'm calculating average packet >> size at about 154bytes per packet. Based on these specs, would it be >> realistic to expect the router could push about 25Mbps aggregate (for >> example, 12.50Mbps in both directions simultaneously)? >> >> Thanks for your insight. > > > > > > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
