Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> I think i haven't made it clear enough....
>
> Let's suppose i have the following 2 systems:
>
> 6500/SUP720-3BXL
> 6724-SFP (DFC-3CXL)
>
> 6500/SUP720-3BXL
> 6724-SFP (DFC-3BXL)
>
> If i'm not mistaken both will operate in 3BXL mode, so what is the
> disadvantage of the first one?

There is no disadvantage (unless you're worried about "immature"
hardware, which I don't think is a valid concern here)

> Now, suppose i also have the following 2 systems:
>
> 7600/RSP720-3CXL
> 6724-SFP (DFC-3CXL)
>
> 7600/RSP720-3CXL
> 6724-SFP (DFC-3BXL)
>
> If i'm not mistaken, the first one will operate in 3CXL, while the second one
> in 3BXL.
> So the first one would be better (in what terms? That is my secondary
> question).

Yes the first one would be better. Primarily it would have 96k mac table
rather than 64k. I believe there are some bug-fixes in the PFC/DFC 3C
but they're minor (I recall a CoPP related one).

The *main* think the -3C does above the -3B is VSS but obviously if
you're on RSP720 that's not available.

It's possible there are loads of features squirrelled away inside the
-3C but evidence is it's a pretty minor HW rev for the VSS support, and
I presume Cisco are keen to stop making the -3B purely on cost reasons.

> Generally, why should i choose 3BXL, when with a 3CXL i can have a 3BXL plus
> something more? That is my primary question.

You should not, is my understanding.