Hi Dale, Haven't used Cisco netflow collector software, but I can only assume like most of their typical (java) software it's probably an overpriced abortion waiting to happen. Cisco makes great hardware, though their software leaves much to be desired...
For a big shop with multiple large flow sources, Arbor Peakflow products are _very_ nice, but price puts them out of the reach of small to medium business. They are an enterprise/service provider product though, I've seen them scale in very large environments provide a wealth of information that is priceless, especially when you're prone to DDoS and other forms of abuse. On a smaller scale, I always use and install for customers open-source Ntop on Linux when it's a temporary or a small shop, but have seen it scale pretty decently, at least over 100mb on something like a dell 1850 server. Good reporting app with a web interface, provides lots of nice detail and features of your traffic. There are lots of open-source netflow apps out there, just google for linux and netflow. In 12.4T there is also the topN talker function in IOS to give you a list of top talkers currently that is nice when available, but only if you have a smaller platform that uses 12.4T on cutting-edge code. All depends what your platforms and budgets look like. -mb Dale Shaw wrote: > Hi, > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: >> > Second part to this question is anyone recommend a Netflow >> > analyzer? Either application or appliance (price is important.) I'd like >> > to get one where I can assign clients access where they only have access >> to >> > the ports I assign them. I'm currently using the free version of >> > Scrutinizer. > > This seems to be a FAQ. > > I guess there are a bunch of good products out there, so it's hard for > anyone to give definitive, unbiased opinions. The best you can > probably hope for is advice _against_ using a particular product, due > to some real or perceived limitation/deficiency. > > While we're on the topic, does anyone have anything particularly > positive or negative to say about Cisco NetFlow Collector, or > Compuware's NetFlow product? > > cheers, > Dale > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
