To be correct they should be mac-addresses that can be guaranteed unique (such as off old ethernet nic's), but thats hard to do in a range.
I dont see any reason to use different mac's for bridging and pppoe. Paul A wrote: > Joe, so basically I'm going to make up a mac-address and pass that along to > the Telco correct? > > Also currently im using a mac address on this router with RBE dsl > connections and the new DSL's getting cut over to this ATM are PPPOE, I read > somewhere on cisco that I should use a different mac-address for the PPPOE > under a bba-group. > > So I should just be able to make one up and pass that along to them? > > Thanks, > > Paul > > P.A > -----Original Message----- > P.A > From: Joe Maimon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > P.A > Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:50 AM > P.A > To: Paul A > P.A > Cc: [email protected] > P.A > Subject: Re: [c-nsp] mac address question > P.A > > P.A > Take an old ethernet card, copy its mac address and throw the ethernet > P.A > card out. > P.A > > P.A > Use that mac address. > P.A > > P.A > Realistically, the TELCO is actually asking for what to put in a layer > P.A > 2 > P.A > access list. > P.A > > P.A > You want to be able to connect multiple routers, for example with an > P.A > ATM > P.A > switch, so tell them a mac address with the last two hex digits masked > P.A > to FF > P.A > > P.A > That way you can connect a couple hundred routers without involving > P.A > them > P.A > again. > P.A > > P.A > So long as the mac's arent going to conflict with any of your > P.A > customers, > P.A > you shouldnt ever have a problem. > P.A > > P.A > > P.A > Paul A wrote: > P.A > > Hi, we have an ATM circuit that will be terminating some DSL > P.A > circuits. The > P.A > > Telco is asking me for the terminating router's mac address > P.A > > I'm confused as to what mac address I should give them. I know im > P.A > supposed > P.A > > to add the mac-address statement under the ATM interface according > P.A > to the > P.A > > documents I read on the cisco site but how go I figure out with mac > P.A > address > P.A > > to use? > P.A > > > P.A > > TIA, P > P.A > > > P.A > > > P.A > > _______________________________________________ > P.A > > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > P.A > > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > P.A > > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > P.A > > > P.A > > > > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
