Elmi There was a big discussion on this list about proxy-arp several months ago.
Do a search for the forums that keep this in forum format to read up about it. I think you will find the discussions educational. :) On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Elmar K. Bins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hi knowledgeable fellows, > > I think I should bounce this off the people on this list before > I shoot myself in the foot... > > My setup looks like this: > > +--- [Server] > [ISP]---| a.b.c.d/28 |--[Router]--+--- [Server] > +--- [Server] > > Access network to the ISP is a.b.c.d/28, transfer network between > "Router" (a WS-3750G in L3 mode) and Servers is something else (think > 192.168.1.0/24) with every server having a unique address on that > transfer network (like .2, .3 and .4). > > Every server also has one address from the access network, called > "service address" on a loopback/dummy and the router is configured > with static routes for that service address to each of the servers' > transfer addresses: > > > 3750#show run | i relevant > ! > interface vlan 10 > description OUTSIDE > ip address a.b.c.+2 255.255.255.240 > ! > interface vlan 11 > description INSIDE > ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 > ! > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.+1 > ip route a.b.c.+3 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.2 > ip route a.b.c.+3 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 > ip route a.b.c.+3 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.4 > ! > ip cef > ip cef load-sharing algorithm tunnel > > > This setup does work flawlessly as long as the service address is not > from the ISP transfer block. CEF does a pretty good balancing job to > the inside, the forwarding on a 3750 is not bad either. > > As soon as the service address is from the transfer block, I need to > make traffic happen towards the routing system to be able to push > it further (and control the routing). > > The solution I do see is to use > > interface vlan 11 > ip local-proxy-arp > > on the inside interface. > > > In my lab environment this seems to work flawlessly, but maybe I am > overlooking an obvious alternative solution (renumbering the entire > setup and adding a transfer network is not an option in the short run). > > Am I being st00pid? Is that how one is supposed to do it? Is there > a way around proxy-arp (which I frankly never liked)? > > Any ideas/thoughts... > Elmi. > > -- > > "Hinken ist kein Mangel eines Vergleichs, sondern sollte als wesentliche > Eigenschaft von Vergleichen angesehen werden." (Marius Fränzel in > desd) > > --------------------------------------------------------------[ ELMI-RIPE > ]--- > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
