Richard, Using a policer (rate-limit) does not dedicate or allocate any minimal bandwidth... It creates an upper limit for the specific class. You should be using the "bandwidth" statement inside the correct class-map for the relevant traffic.
A very basic config for something that sounds like what you need would be: class-map match-all CRITICAL-TRAFFIC match access-group 1 ! ! policy-map SERIAL-1-0-EGRESS class CRITICAL-TRAFFIC bandwidth 256 class class-default bandwidth 512 ! interface Serial1/0 service-policy output SERIAL-1-0-EGRESS ! access-list 1 permit 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 ! The above config would allocate a minimal rate of 256K for the traffic originated from 1.1.1.0/24, and would assign a minimal rate of 512K for all the rest. The remaining bandwidth would be split by the 2 classes. Also each class can use the other class's unused bandwidth. For more information, take a look at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/12_4t/qos_12 _4t_book.html Arie -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mikisa Richard Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:11 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [c-nsp] Rate limit or policy-map Hi all I have a scenario where I have to dedicate 256K to a particular host out of my 1M link. What would be the best way to go about it? Should I do a simple interface rate limit or should I do a policy and police off that ? Regards Richard. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
