Hi,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:23:33PM -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
> Can any Cisco people tell me if when a router or switch (router in this 
> case) is at the initial setup prompt after the very first power-on if 
> the router enables DHCP on it's interfaces?  I believe I had a brand-new 

I can't answer this for the general case, but I do know that routers have
been doing SLARP on serial lines to acquire IP addresses "since ever"...

Given that the most current IOS versions tend to have web-based config
on-by-default, it wouldn't surprise me to see DHCP requests.

But for a definite answer, I'd just sniff the packets on the router's
ethernet ports while booting...

> The reason I ask would take too long for me to explain tonight.  If I'm 
> right though it kicked a configuration problem in just the right spot to 
> set off a major multi-hour outage for us.

Ouch.

gert
-- 
USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             [email protected]
fax: +49-89-35655025                        [email protected]

Attachment: pgpFdLEdEz8Go.pgp
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to