We just looked at the 3750E series and bough some because of the stackability. 
According to Cisco engineers I talked to and a local CCIE, you cannot upgrade 
the stack in multiple stages. I am told that upgrding the master switch will 
autmatically upgrade the othes switches at the same time. No matter what, there 
will be downtime. 

*sigh* 

Chris 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Holemans Wim" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 1:48:32 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific 
Subject: [c-nsp] upgrading stack of 3750E's 

We are testing the following setup : 

65XX-VSS - etherchannel - 3750E stack (2 switches) - teaming enabled 
servers 



This should give maximal uptime, overriding defects on the router or 
3750E switches. We intend to use these switches in L2 mode only, 
managing them via the mgmt fa0 interface. 



I'm now looking into the upgrading procedure for the stack, but I can't 
seem to find a way to do an upgrade in which at least of the 3750E's 
stays operational, thus minimalizing down time. As far as I can tell 
from the doc, there is no way to upgrade e.g. the master switch, have it 
reload (keeping the second switch operational), and after the master 
becomes operational, (auto-)upgrade the second switch. Am I missing 
something or is this scenario really not possible ? 



Another scenario would be removing the switch from the stack (after 
bringing down all ports first via console), changing the ip address of 
the switch, bringing the mgmt port back online, do the upgrade, bring 
the power down, reconnect it to the stack and the power up it again. 
Given the fact that the stack cables are rather fragile, this doesn't 
seem the right way to do, unless it is possible to shut down the stack 
ports by a CLI command ? 



Anyone suggestions, pointers to alternative upgrade procedures,... 



Thanks, 



Wim Holemans 



Network Services University of Antwerp 

Netwerkdienst Universiteit Antwerpen 



_______________________________________________ 
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] 
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp 
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ 
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to