>> We send our default route out of the interface, rather than to the remote gateway IP, so if we change the >> ip of the loopback on our side, we do not need to adjust anything for the >> customer. > > That's not a bad idea. Though wouldn't pointing a default at an > interface force it to ARP constantly? Several hundred CEs ARPing > non-stop could be a load issue on your PE.
I've not experienced that. > I'm not too worried about the loopback's IP changing. I only put a /24 > on the loopback to get us started. I'll load it with customer DS1s > until I get to around 90% IP utilization and then create another > loopback with another /24 or perhaps a /23 this time around. I padded > the front of the subnet sufficiently to allow for future HA projects > and the unforeseeable. I can't foresee ever needing to change the IP on a > loopback once I have it in production. It makes it much easier to groom services from one router to the other if you have to migrate a lot, and over the years, I have had to migrate a lot of customers from one router to the next etc.. > > We use outbound service policies on unnumbered interfaces just fine: > > > > interface Serial10/1/0/3:0 > > description L3 OH/XXXX/XXXX to XXXXXXX channel 12 > > ip unnumbered Loopback0 > > no ip redirects > > no ip unreachables > > no ip proxy-arp > > service-policy output llq > > no fair-queue > > down-when-looped > > no clns route-cache > > Excellent. QoS was something that occurred to me as I was writing my > original message. > > > > ip route X.X.X.X 255.255.255.248 Serial10/1/0/3:0 name CustomerRouteA > > So you'd prefer to route a larger customer assignment to the the > CE-facing interface instead of to their assigned IP unnumbered address? > > > I've been doing ip unnumbered since 1995 in production and it "just > works". > > There are undoubtedly some routers out there that might have issues, > but any > > Cisco device should be able to handle things just fine. > > Very good. On the CE side I really don't anticipate many problems. I > see this as more of a CE knowledge thing than anything. I'm sure we'll > have several customers that need something special. I hope that for > the most part we can lump them all into an IP unnumbered design. To be truthful, I haven't found anything that we cannot do w/ IP unnumbered yet. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
