I would strongly recommend keynote over gomez. It's what a lot of folks use. Gomez has some interesting features, but I found them harder to work with.

Pingdom is also a popular choice.

Or you could just use nagios or other monitoring tools.... do you have any sort of network management/monitoring now? If so it's highly likely you can add a probe for an HTTP service.

In fact I wouldn't recommend testing from the router, as that may be a false positive (think someone changes an ACL and it's broken from everywhere but the router).

So often you will want monitoring of both the "front channel" and the "back channel".

Really don't know enough about your architecture to be sure. I'm basing this on the architecture I have used at multiple organizations, where one has a DMZ/Vlan and a management VLAN, with servers having a NIC in each.

Joe Loiacono wrote:
Forgot to mention that you control everything from their web-site (hence SAAS) which makes it very easy. You could resell the service ...

http://www.gomez.com/




Joe Loiacono/CIV/c...@csc Sent by: [email protected]
04/03/2009 10:14 AM

To
"Aaron Riemer" <[email protected]>
cc
[email protected], [email protected]
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] Monitoring External Web Server






If you want to go commercial, we use a software-as-a-service (SAAS) product called Gomez. You periodically contact your server from browser-client nodes on their backbone. You can also execute scripts from these nodes that will walk through your web-site in a pre-determined way. The pricing model is based on a 'cost per measurement' subscription where a measurement is an access of a web-site from a test node. If you do it hourly, that would be 24 per day, etc.

Joe




"Aaron Riemer" <[email protected]> Sent by: [email protected]
04/03/2009 12:50 AM

To
<[email protected]>
cc

Subject
[c-nsp] Monitoring External Web Server






Hey guys,
We have a requirement to monitor the external availability of a web
server that hangs off our ASA DMZ interface. I was thinking of running
an IP SLA probe from our external router to test the web requests but I
was wondering if anyone had done something with EEM that could possibly
try to establish a TCP connection to the web server and report the
statistics somehow. I don't want to place a machine outside for the
monitoring so would prefer to do it from our router if possible.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Aaron.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to