> I'm trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or just a fluke.
I have had it occur on a couple of (older) 67xx cards. Looking
at the board, it appeared that the solder joint holding the
loop had the classic appearance of a cold solder joint (it
looked brittle and crystallized).
I have this vague suspicion (and it is only a suspicion)
that the combination of the large hole and the large
wire (as opposed to a SMT device) requires more heat/time
than the soldering equipment is/was providing.(*)
I have not seen any recent version cards with the
problem, so I presumed that the manufacturing defect
was corrected at some point (turned up the heat?)
Gary
(*) I have a further suspicion that the conversion
to ROHS compliant solder could have had an
impact on this issue. Lead-free solder usually
requires higher temperatures for proper bonding
(depends on the particular solder).
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/