Saku Ytti wrote:
On (2009-07-21 09:33 +0100), Phil Mayers wrote:
Hey,
Obviously one thing to look at is broadcast storm control on the
6500s. However, from what I can make it it's rather primitive; the
rate of broadcast traffic is capped only in 1-second windows and
doesn't take account of packet-size? Does anyone have any experience
of it? Does it work well.
storm-control works just fine. But unfortunately for WS-X6704-10GE minimum
amount of 0.34% which is too much for the box to handle without starting to
flap BGP/LDP/IS-IS etc.
Well, these are 6748-SFP, which I see can go down much lower, though it
talks about "100 meg" ports (on an -SFP linecard!)
Can the mls qos be used to rate-limit this on ingress? I doubt it; IIRC
the ingress policing is limited to CoS only.
Even if you could limit them to acceptable level, you'll still be looping
unknown unicast, unless you've explicitly stopped forwarding them (which
implies you must have only 1 switch or you've synchronized ARP timeout with
MAC timeout).
We haven't done that. The storms are of very short duration (<10
seconds, but longer than 3x STP PDU timeouts) so I'm hoping that unknown
unicast will not be as big a problem.
Is it more subtle, and the SP is being overwhelmed by the punt? We
run CoPP but obviously that's layer3. I don't have any layer2 MLS
rate-limiters enabled, and since they're per-box rather than
per-port I doubt they'd help.
My guess would be this also, that you simply overloaded the SUP. Maybe if
you can recreate it in controlled environment, you could see what the
software is doing and maybe even find way to protect yourself.
I'm investigating another solution on the edge switches themselves; they
support fairly granular output metering based on ACL match terms, so I
might be able to match on destination MAC and limit to something small
like 128kbit/sec, but it's hacky - I'd like to avoid it, and such
protection really ought to be on the core switch, in case it gets missed
or mis-configured on the edge.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/