Running the "telnet" command does not work too well (although it might work a bit better from Tcl EEM policy than from tclsh).
http://blog.ioshints.info/2007/10/you-cannot-start-telnet-session-from.html However, you can open a TCP socket (to telnet port) from Tcl and issue the commands. You could write Tcl EEM policy and do it from there or use a simple EEM applet that runs a tclsh command. I try to avoid Tcl EEM policies as they are a nightmare to edit/test. Last but not least, EEM applet can send a SNMP trap to your NMS (or execute a SSH command) and the NMS can then reset the modem. Ivan http://www.ioshints.info/about http://blog.ioshints.info/ > -----Original Message----- > From: Aaron Riemer [mailto:[email protected]] > Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 3:27 AM > To: [email protected] > Subject: [c-nsp] IP SLA / EEM Scripting > > Hey Guys, > > I am hoping to use a combination of IP SLA and EEM to run a > script when a certain event occurs. For example we have a > cellular router that sometimes requires a reset. We have a > backup link so I would like to automate this reset process. > What I would like to do is to monitor the cellular device > with IP SLA icmp probes and after a certain number of > failures run a script that can telnet to the device via the > back door and issue commands to reset. > > I have done some digging but I am unable to see if EEM > supports the ability for a router to actually telnet to > another device and issue commands. I may have to use our > network monitoring app to run the script. Could Cacti do this? > > Thanks for any suggestions. > > Aaron. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
