On 26 Oct 2009, at 21:48, Tony wrote:

Hi all,

I curious of what the actual difference is between SPA-2XGE & SPA-2X1GE-V2.

I'm aware this question has been asked before, but the answer was just a reference to the product spec sheets which doesn't really tell me what the difference between the two products are.

What I can tell by reading the spec sheets is that the v2 has SFP AND RJ45 connectors, while v1 only has SFP.

If I then look at the detailed list of "features and functions" and compare them I can see that the v2 card lists the following additional features:
- 802.1ad QinQ termination
- 8000 VLANs per SPA (instead of 4000 in v1)

This is for platforms other than 6k5/7k6 I believe -- even with SIP/ SPA - you cannot do >4095 VLANs/chassis on this platform.


So I ask the question of anyone who knows more on this topic, what is the real difference between v1 & v2 cards ? I would be putting them in a SIP-400 in a 7600 chassis.

The v2 card does do QoS (we tested CoS and DSCP marking), we have done some testing on this in CPOC - it's worth bearing in mind that the SPA is essentially a framer for the SIP, therefore where there are features that are not really related to framing, they are likely to be supported on both SPAs.

I can confirm that the v1 SPA does _NOT_ support QinQ termination - it will let you configure it with 'encaps dot1q 400 second-dot1q 200', but will just fail to do anything. I wish that Cisco would fix it so that these cards that do not support a feature do not let you configure it!

Kind regards,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <[email protected]>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions
ddi: +44208 587 6077            mob: +44797 155 4098
pgp: 0xc07e6deb                 nic-hdl: RJS-RIPE

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html




_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to