Drew Weaver wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Last night I had an interesting encounter on one of my 6509s /w SUP7203-BXL.
>
> This switch has 3x iBGP sessions with full internet tables and is also
> running OSPF.
>
> Two of the three iBGP sessions randomly dropped with:
>
> %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor x.x.x.3 4/0 (hold time expired) 0
> bytes, I also noticed that during this period OSPF dropped with Neighbor
> Down: Dead timer expired
>

> and then re-established, and then failed again, and re-established, and
> failed again, and so-on, and so-on.
>
> I checked the physical interfaces between this 6500 and the two GSR 12000s it
> peers with and there were no errors, there was also no obvious spike in
> traffic that would account for latency that might cause the hold timers to
> expire. I remember when this system first came online it took a really long
> time for it to download the full internet tables from the upstream GSRs and
> also during that time there was a lot of CPU time being eaten up, I am
> wondering if maybe the first session failing caused sort of a 'performance'
> domino effect which then caused everything else to fail, the issue eventually
> corrected itself and stabilized.
>
> This particular box is running 12.2(18)SXF17 so I am less likely to believe
> it is a software bug.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on both how I can avoid the hold timer issue
> altogether

I dont think your issue is bgp and it's hold time - if ospf session
drops then so will BGP session. Are you sure your upstream GSR's did not
fail-over? If so NSF might help you
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_bgp_adv_features_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056241

If you have unstable IGP, try to figure out why, if you cant, dampen. If
that doesnt help, disable next-hop address tracking
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_bgp_adv_features_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056441

Regards
Dave