Why mess with VLAN 768 - just give the upstream port the correct ip address and don't use it as a switchport. If you only have one uplink and one client/VLAN off of this box then there is really only one route off of that box as well. I'm not sure I would mess with BGP there. Good Luck, Buz
-----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Prall Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:14 AM To: 'Steve Bertrand'; 'Cisco-NSP Mailing List' Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Using L3 switches as CPE > Hi all, > > I'm going to be deploying some old 3550's as CPE on a > Fibre-over-Ethernet network. I've never used a layer-3 switch for this > job before, I've always used a router with a separate switch. I'm > looking for some advice, as the setup is a bit different from what I'm > used to. > > What I think I have to do is this: > > - trunk vlan 768 through gi0/1 back to my PE router Just set the port as an access port. No need to trunk. > - configure an int vlan768 to contain the /30 ptp IP Correct > - configure a second vlan (eg: 5) and apply one of the client's IP > addresses on it (which will act as their default gw) Correct > - configure the fa interfaces as access ports for vlan 5 > - enable ip-routing > - set up BGP as usual, using int vlan768 as the update-source Shouldn't have to explicitly configure this. > > Does this sound right? Can anyone offer any other advice regarding this > setup, particularly any config techniques that I should know about for > this type of deployment? > As long as the GigE port is line rate you shouldn't have any issues. If you are providing a subrate service, then they really need something with HQoS so that they can send what they want, and not let you randomly drop what they send. > Steve > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
