Steve, One thing to be careful with switches in Ethernet circuits is sub-rate link QOS. If the circuit you get/provide is an Ethernet link but the end to end service is a lower rate (for example 300Mbps service over 1G etc), then you need to apply egress shaping on the CPE before forwarding packets to the link, or else you would get drops due to policing performed along the line. This would drop packets randomly and would not allow you to provide QOS policies etc.
For this kind of deployments (where shaping is needed) you would most likely need a router as a CPE, but can also take a look at the ME-3400 switch, which has these capabilities and is positioned as a MetroE CPE... Arie -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Bertrand Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 15:59 To: Cisco-NSP Mailing List Subject: [c-nsp] Using L3 switches as CPE Hi all, I'm going to be deploying some old 3550's as CPE on a Fibre-over-Ethernet network. I've never used a layer-3 switch for this job before, I've always used a router with a separate switch. I'm looking for some advice, as the setup is a bit different from what I'm used to. What I think I have to do is this: - trunk vlan 768 through gi0/1 back to my PE router - configure an int vlan768 to contain the /30 ptp IP - configure a second vlan (eg: 5) and apply one of the client's IP addresses on it (which will act as their default gw) - configure the fa interfaces as access ports for vlan 5 - enable ip-routing - set up BGP as usual, using int vlan768 as the update-source Does this sound right? Can anyone offer any other advice regarding this setup, particularly any config techniques that I should know about for this type of deployment? Steve _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
