----- Original Message ----- From: "Church, Charles" <[email protected]>
To: "nsp-cisco" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:35 PM
Subject: [c-nsp] Nexus 5xxx VPC peer keepalives


Anyone,

Coming up on a design issue with our upcoming first deployment of Nexus 5010s and 5020s in a new datacenter. It's recommended in the following doc to use the mgmt0 interface for peer keepalive messages:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS__chapter8.html#concept_47F7274E5FDA489884D0488BC491B066

We're doing a true out of band management approach on this new network, so the mgmt0 interfaces all home back to an OOB switch/router (4507) which houses the NMS gear, etc. My concern is that a reload (or failure of some type) on this OOB switch could cause a 'dual active' situation on all the Nexus pairs of devices . (6 pairs of 5010s, and the pair of 5020s that aggregate the 5010 pairs). I don't think I want that to happen. So the alternative seems to be a back to back non-VPC-peer link between the two devices using a VLAN interface, but I hate the idea of using a 10 gig port just for keepalives. There are what appears to be additional copper mgmt ports on the boxes, but they're covered up, and not in the CLI. Any way to utilize those? Any other possibilities I'm overlooking? Or am I stuck getting 1 gig copper SFPs and crossover cables for keepalives?

Thanks,

Chuck

There are specific rules and actions that are taken when specific failures occur and it's important to understand them. Also, if this is your first go at this, I would highly recommend testing the scenarios so you can get comfortable. Part of the value in Nexus is the vPC. Unless you have a very specific reason that is broken by the vPC, get comfortable with it. The dual active scenario isn't that bad.

Oddly enough, I was testing a 350mbps multicast stream in a similiar environment today. 2 5ks that were dual active - workstation on a single attached 2k. The keepalive link was down between those 5ks and had connection to network via peer link only. The 2nd 5k had only 1 uplink to 7k-1. The source of the multicast was on a 2k hanging off 7k-2 and a separate set of 5ks.

All multicast packets were received and in order (reliable multicast testing with sequencing).

tv
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to