Based on the following, you might have too much light.
From :
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_bulletin_c25-530836.html
Notes for LX4:
1. In some cases, customers might experience that a link would be
operating properly over OM2 fiber type without MCP.
2. Some customers may be tempted to connect 10GBASE-LX4 devices over MMF
jumper cables without MCP cables. This includes the case of links over
OM3 cable for which the MCP should not be used. There is a risk to
overload and saturate the adjacent receiver causing high bit error rate,
link flaps and eventually irreversible damage. In such cases, a 5-dB
attenuator for 1300nm should be used and plugged at the transmitter of
the optical module on each side of the link.
3. Another alternative for short reaches within the same location is to
use a single-mode patch cable. There will be no saturation over
single-mode fiber. Please note the 10GBASE-LX4 devices can reach up to
10km over single-mode fiber as per compliance to IEEE.
On 08/04/2010 02:11 PM, Cisco NSP wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.
Unfortunately there is no single-mode fiber between the buildings. I'm much
more familiar with 10GBase-SR and 10GBase-LR and I would have liked to use
it instead. But we have to work with the current cabling.
I've checked the orientation of the TX/RX both ways and both didn't work. I
can try to clean the faces again, but the 1.9dB attenuation seems a good
indication to me that the fibre itself is ok.
Mack, I'm not aware that the X2-LX4 interface was not supported on the 6500.
Do you have an url confirming this? FWIW, the optic is placed in a
VS-S720-10G-3C supervisor (port Te5/4).
Regards,
Dirk-Jan van Helmond
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Justin M. Streiner
<[email protected]>wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Cisco NSP wrote:
Hi all,
I'm not very fibre-savvy, so if anybody could help me, I'd very much
appreciate it!
I have two Cisco 6500s about 250 meters apart in two separate buildings.
Between those two buildings I have OM2 grade fibre. and both Cisco have an
10GBase-LX4 X2 interface.
From what I recall, the recommended maximum distance on 10GBASE-LX4 on
<OM3 fiber is 300 meters.
When I measure the fibre end-to-end it has about 1,9dB attenuation in the
1300nm spectrum but when I connect the fibre to the interface, I don't get
link-up.
That is well within the published link budget for the LX4 spec. Are you
sure that 1. both X2 modules are functional and 2. all of your jumpers and
connectors are in good shape (clean end faces, no kinks/micro-bends), etc?
A little troubleshooting pointed me to mode conditioning patches (a piece
of
SM and MM welded together) but I find it very hard to believe that this
patch will solve my problem.
A mode-conditioning patch can extend the distance and reduce the dispersion
penalty you pay on multimode fiber by admitting only one mode of light into
the fiber from the transmit side of the optics at each end.
Do you have any singlemode fiber between the buildings, or do you just have
OM2 grade multimode?
jms
Before I invest 800$ for 2 patch-fibers, Is this the way I should go, or
am
I overlooking anything?
Thanks in advance,
Dirk-Jan van Helmond
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/