On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Adam Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote: > On 17/08/2010 23:50, Justin M. Streiner wrote: >> >> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Alessandro Braga wrote: >> >>> Verify duplex and speed configurations on interface, the rule is: >>> autoXauto, forcedXforced. If problem not solve, disable cdp. >> >> Also, while auto speed/duplex negotiation is fine for user >> workstation/PC ports in most cases, I recommend against using it on your >> network infrastructure if you can help it. > > This is horribly terrible advice. > > Autonegotiation should always be used as default, nailing should be the fix > for when things don't work, and where very old devices don't do autoneg > properly. > > Note that for gigabit, autonegotiation is MANDATORY. > > adam.
Adam, you are my new best friend. I've been saying this for the past few years and people still think I'm crazy. I flat out refuse to manually configure speed and duplex for someone unless it is demonstrated (or I can verify) that a duplex mismatch is actually happening or there is some other extenuating circumstance that requires it. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
