On 8/19/10 1:26 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Adam Armstrong wrote:

On 17/08/2010 23:50, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Alessandro Braga wrote:

> Verify duplex and speed configurations on interface, the rule is:
> autoXauto, forcedXforced. If problem not solve, disable cdp.

Also, while auto speed/duplex negotiation is fine for user
workstation/PC ports in most cases, I recommend against using it on your
network infrastructure if you can help it.

This is horribly terrible advice.

Autonegotiation should always be used as default, nailing should be
the fix for when things don't work, and where very old devices don't
do autoneg properly.

Note that for gigabit, autonegotiation is MANDATORY.

For 1000baseT, yes, autoneg support is mandatory.

I'll qualify my original statement. My FE experience is somewhat dated,
but at that time, enabling autoneg would also often set the evil bit. It
created more problems than it solved.

It's been 5+ years since I had to worry about speed and duplex autoneg to
any significant extent in my network infrastructure since the place I

And that's kind of the point the others are making: it's been well over 5 years since autoneg breakage was the norm. It USED to be good advice to hardcode speed/duplex. I used to do it religiously myself -- in 2002. But it's 2010 now. Times have changed, hardware has gotten better, then gigabit came along and made autoneg mandatory anyway. Not many people are hooking broken Tulip-based cards (like the PA-FE-TX) to 2924XL's anymore. :)