Hi all,
So, I've been reading many posts, Cisco documentation and release notes and testing various versions of 12.2(33)SXH and SXI in a lab environment. Based on all the Cisco marketing fluff, modular IOS seems like the way to go for reliability. Real world experience from many smart people on this list seem to have the opposite opinion. I've read things indicating that the platform is going to be going all modular in the future (and one thing that said the opposite??). I'm further very confused by Cisco dropping the install command from SXI3 onward so there is no more patching which was one of the advantages to using it. I still like the idea of the protected memory and modern microkernel, but not if the platform is still buggy. Safe Harbor releases of modular seem to be mostly parallel with Safe Harbor releases of monolithic IOS. I also noted a few minor features that would be "nice" to have that are only in monolithic, but not in modular according to feature navigator. I can certainly live without them though, especially if the platform is more robust and stable, but I can't seem to decide if that's truly the case. I can think of a small handful of scenarios in my experience in the last 10 years where being able to restart a process in IOS may have been helpful, but it's very few and far between. I think this question seems to come up quite a bit and was discussed a little recently. So my question is this: Is anyone using modular IOS in production with stellar results where they have not regretted doing so? Also, is Cisco really moving to a pure modular offering on the 6500 platform in the future? Thanks for any input and insight into the matter. -Vinny
_______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
