This might help you:

The default Cisco 2951 has a unique memory configuration, whereby a 512 MB DIMM 
is installed in one of the two memory slots on the Cisco 2951. Memory upgrades 
on the Cisco 2951 can involve the increase in the density of that single DIMM 
or a combination of DIMMs with BOTH slots populated. The Cisco 2951 allows the 
use of asymmetric densities of DRAM in both slots.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps10598/ordering_guide_c07_557736_ps10537_Products_Data_Sheet.html

It looks like both slots need to be populated.


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Rothera
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:26 PM
To: Jay Nakamura
Cc: cisco-nsp
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 2951 memory upgrade to 2GB/Boot loader

Hope you got her name to use when you have to raise a case for a dead 2951 :P


On 14 Dec 2010, at 18:09, Jay Nakamura wrote:

> Just a side note so I can vent, just talked to TAC and the lady
> suggested to boot with the old RAM and swap it while the router was
> powered on....
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Jay Nakamura <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was having problems upgrading memory in a ISR G2 2951 from two 512M
>> DIMMs to one 2GB DIMM.  Neither of the DIMM I had worked so I started
>> to think I may need to upgrade ROMMON/boot loader.  But for the life
>> of me, I could not find any release notes on cisco.com for it
>> anywhere.  There is newer release of boot loader than what's on the
>> router but could not find any release notes.  Anyone know where I
>> could find it or if a new boot loader is required for 2GB DIMM?
>>
>> With the new RAM, the router keeps repeating this
>>
>> Check stop condition detected, resetting the system
>> System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
>> Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
>> Copyright (c) 2009 by cisco Systems, Inc.
>>
>> It's possible both DIMMs were bad but it seems unlikely.  It's also
>> possible the vendor sent me the wrong type.
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail, and any attachments
and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the
addressee and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law.  Any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited.  This
notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of
any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement.  If you have
received this communication in error, please contact the
original sender.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to