On 02/09/2012 10:00 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
"Do you know for certain that IP x emitted packets Y?"
"Well, we have an X% confidence bound that..."
"Then I'll see you in court."
Well, it would be sort of silly to deny that the miscreant did something
if the ISP even saw it *with sampling*.
It's not like sampling would invent new packets, instead overlook some
of the miscreant activity - so the argument "you can't prove that I did
it because you might have not seen all of it!" is... interesting.
Ok, bad example.
I'm specifically thinking about p2p downloads. At (say) 512:1 sampling,
they can simply deny they downloaded a 5Gb file, and claim it was a 10Mb
file. Obviously this is ludicrously unlikely to be true, but, in theory,
possible.
I guess this is related to your next point...
Billing using sampled netflow is more where I see problems arising,
because you know your numbers will not be accurate, but you don't know
how big the error is, and in which direction you err. With unsampled
Is that true? As indicated, my stats are rusty, but I would have thought
it possible to calculate an error bar.
netflow, you know that what you bill is never *more* than what the
customer actually used (if you overflow your TCAM or drop records,
you err on the side of the customer, which is OK) - but if you sample,
and then apply a correction factor, you could bill them too much, and
that's problematic.
Indeed. We face a similar (non-monetary) issue locally, that I won't go
into. But suffice to say that sampled netflow would make our lives hard
in that area on the basis of arguing cases, not technology.
Of course you don't want to bill based on any sort of IP accounting data,
but that cannot always be avoided either :-)
Well, as I understand it a quantity-based billing model is not uncommon.
And it's not like SNMP counters are awesomely reliable on some platforms
either:
"We upgraded IOS and now the counters are all in octal, port-channels
count backwards, and jumbo frames are counted as IPX..."
...allright, slight exaggeration!
And of course, counters can't do SCU/DCU :o(
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/