On 2012-02-09 10:17, Phil Mayers wrote:
On 02/09/2012 10:00 AM, Gert Doering wrote:


"Do you know for certain that IP x emitted packets Y?"
"Well, we have an X% confidence bound that..."
"Then I'll see you in court."

Well, it would be sort of silly to deny that the miscreant did something
if the ISP even saw it *with sampling*.

It's not like sampling would invent new packets, instead overlook some of the miscreant activity - so the argument "you can't prove that I did
it because you might have not seen all of it!" is... interesting.

Ok, bad example.

I'm specifically thinking about p2p downloads. At (say) 512:1
sampling, they can simply deny they downloaded a 5Gb file, and claim
it was a 10Mb file. Obviously this is ludicrously unlikely to be true,
but, in theory, possible.

I guess this is related to your next point...

When I was last in a ISP environment the main reason for using sampled netflow was to have a general statistical view of our traffic) and to use it to understand how our BGP peering was working and what tweaks could be made to improve it and the service to our customers.

For legal purposes there are far better ways of seeing who has downloaded a particular p2p file - locating the torrent in question and joining it is by far a better way of seeing who has the file, who is distributing the file etc... and that information is much more likely to stand up in court. It's also a method that doesn't involve the ISP - which most ISPs will be eternally grateful for, as they don't really want to have anything to do with this type of stuff other than accept and deliver packets for their customers, and manage their traffic overall.


--
Message sent via my webmail account.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to