On (2012-06-14 12:53 +0100), Tim Franklin wrote:

> Or to install remote power bars and console servers *once* per rack, and have
> *one* scriptable interface regardless of how many different types of
> equipment you connect to it.  Not for every case, but sometimes rolling my
> own OOB makes more sense than paying the vendor extra to provide me with
> another different one.

Avocent to on-band RS232 compared to switch to out-of-band ethernet are
equally homogeneous. You connect to them in standard way (true out-of-band
ssh, telnet) once you are connected, you're on your own in both cases,
interface is heterogeneous

Sure for power-cycle you can do it same way for each system. But we're not
arguing managed power supply versus CMP. We're arguing on-band RS232 versus
out-of-band ethernet.

--
  ++ytti