On (2012-10-24 09:44 +0100), Phil Mayers wrote:

> On the plus side, autoneg is mandatory in later versions of the
> specs (1000Tx, 10g) IIRC, so maybe this nonsense will finally die?

If I understand 802.3 correctly, you must implement it, but you don't have
to use it, but I might not understand 802.3 correctly.
Some education on ethernet would be welcome, practical stuff, with
reference to correct sections to standard. So we'd have more teools to
explain people in clear terms why to use autonego.

> The only places we disable autoneg in our network are to connect to
> same $FORMER_GOVT_TELCO, which makes me sad :o(

I think the correct process is

a) autonego 
b) if it does not work, contact vendor/peer for fix
c) if vendor/peer refuses to fix, disable it

-- 
  ++ytti
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to