I can tell you from internal documentation that this is what happens. Only SIP-200 possesses the hardware to do these operations on the card. Everything else will hit a hardware forwarding exception and punt to CPU to see if the CPU can figure out what to do with it.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Alex K. <[email protected]> wrote: > Yes I know. I'm looking for a best match. > > I've already sent an email to my local SE. > > The point is that I need something official that will state 'yes, it's > done by software, cpu impact is expected'. > > Best Regards, > Alex. > On Jan 22, 2013 11:58 AM, "Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)" <[email protected]> > wrote: > >> Alex, >> >> not sure what you're looking for. "Not supported" means you're on your >> own, use it at your own risk and expect things can go wrong. It could be >> switched in software in one release (which might be fine and serve your >> purpose as long as the traffic stays below given threshold or it doesn't >> affect other features you are using), or hell could freeze over in other >> releases, we don't test this. So I guess you could call your setup >> "mis-configured". >> >> you will not find a document stating "NBAR implementation is software >> based on the PFC/7600". >> >> oli >> >> >> >> On 22/01/2013 10:47, "Alex K." <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> >Hi Oliver, >> >Exactly - not supported. It implies that *if it works (not on SIP-200), >> >it >> >must be software'. >> >I came across this document before I sent the question. As it seems, that >> >what I'll use. >> >I'm looking for a document that say explicitly 'NBAR implementation is >> >software based' to be sure we didn't run into some sort of >> >bug/mis-configuration. >> >Thank you. >> > >> >Best Regards, >> >Alex. >> >On Jan 22, 2013 8:04 AM, "Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)" <[email protected] >> > >> >wrote: >> > >> >Alex, >> > >> > >> >On 22/01/2013 01:19, "Alex K." <[email protected]> wrote: >> > >> >>Hi Pete, >> >> >> >>We're running 12.2(33)SRA6. >> >> >> >> >> >>On SIP-200 it's running fine (as expected). Configuring >> >>NBAR-using-policy-map on an *SVI*, causes high CPU Interrupts. >> >> >> >> I do believe it's being punted to a CPU. >> >> >> >>But this time I need a document that clearly states that i.e. on >> >>SIP-200 >> >>by hardware, on SVI by software and this is not a bug/some other >> >>malfunctioning. >> >> >> >>I'm asking for a document from which we can understand that, yes, using >> >>NBAR on an SVI will make those packets punted. Technically I agree with >> >>you >> >>completely, most likely that¹s what happening. >> > >> > >> > >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/15S/configuration/guide/q >> >o >> >s.html says "The PFC does not support Network-Based Application >> >Recognition (NBAR).", this is valid for earlier SW releases as well. So >> >your config on the SVI is not supported. >> > >> >SIP200 Datasheets clearly state NBAR support. >> > >> > oli >> > >> >> _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
