On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 22:03 -0700, John Neiberger wrote: > A few of us at work have been discussing autonegotiation in gigabit > Ethernet networks and I wanted to get a clarification. I know that on Cisco > devices with Fast Ethernet, if you manually set speed and duplex, this > disables Nway autonegotiation completely. However, I don't think that is > the case for gigabit links since the autonegotiation process is so much > more important. I believe that it still participates in autonegotiation but > only offers the configured speed and duplex setting in the negotiation > process.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/146915 asks roughly the same question. There's no official Cisco reply there, but the poster refers to the following: http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/interp/IEEE802.3af-2003interp-6.pdf So it seems 1000BASE-T cannot work without MASTER/SLAVE selection which is one part of auto-negotiation. On the other hand 1000BASE-X can work without auto-negotiation (AFAICT) but if Cisco uses this or not I don't know. -- Peter _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
