Hi, On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:52:16PM +0100, Christian Kratzer wrote: > Reading between the lines of Gerts mail I saw the words "line rate" ... > > I understand the carriers desire to offer various bandwidth options between > 100mbit/s abd 1git/s. > > I just don't fully trust their shaping/policing solutions to provide the > inbetween bandwidths.
Indeed. I deeply distrust "2Mbit/s on ethernet" thingies and such, though
that stuff seems to work surprisingly well today - *better* than some of
the "2Mbit via ATM VC, with a carrier not being able to tell us which
shaping values to use, thus losing OAM cells on saturated links"...
(The same goes for 200Mbit on GE links, of course - anything where the
router doesn't know the actual end-to-end speed and would need to either
rely on "the modem" behaving "properly" in regards to queueing/buffering/
policing, or apply hierarchical shaping on the router, which will usually
be not available in the platform you have)
gert
--
USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany [email protected]
fax: +49-89-35655025 [email protected]
pgpJ8Jayonbd9.pgp
Description: PGP signature
_______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
