On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Michael Loftis <[email protected]> wrote: > > Basically, yes, you need DFC to get your target rates. And it's more about > pps than bps. CFC in non classic mode is 30Mpps for the whole chassis. If > you have any classic cards you'll be stuck at half that (because the packet > headers are larger in this mode), 15Mpps. ... I don't think you can get a > SUP720 entirely without the PFC...as that's basically the bit that's doing > all the CFC decision making. The system will be limited in scale and > features to the lowest common denominator between your DFC(s) and PFC. This > is all in the FAQ below >
I'm still confused :-( Sorry. The only other line card in the chassis would be one WS-X6748-GE-TX which is a 48 Port 10/100/1000 card. Yes, the SUP720 comes with MSFC3/PFC3 standard (we will be upgrading memory on the SUP as well as the MFC to 1G, the max supported), and it states it can deliver up to 40Gbps per slot. But from what you've mentioned, we will thus now be limited to 15Mpps which is clearly not going to be enough. The SUP720-3B is perhaps also an option, but if I have to start looking at the 720-3BXL then it's becoming very expensive, yet again. Do I then also understand correctly that in the case of a SUP720-3B I need to purchase a WS-X6708-10G-3C and in the case of a SUP720-3BXL we are talking about a WS-X6708-10G-3CXL (there are no 4-port line card available with a DFC daughter card), or are these special versions with the daughter cards only required to lower the impact of the contention on the 8-port cards? Would the same also hold true then on a SUP720-3B or SUP720-3BXL in the case of a WS-X6704-10GE, or would the bigger (better) SUP have no problem with smashing the 15/30Mpps to pieces and deliver true 10Gbps per port? I'm not after 100% guaranteed 10Gbps per port on the line card, but I most certainly don't want to spend all this money and only get like ~3Gbps per port either. What other options (except Nexus) would there be that can deliver ~8 x 10GE (fiber) and 48 x 1GE at an affordable rate? Nexus is WAY over my budget (and the reason why we're looking at the 6500 instead), and it would seem (to me at least) I am stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of acquiring a low port density 10G switch at an affordable price. Sorry for all the questions, in my 15 odd years of networking, this is the first time that I will be entering the 10GE arena, so I really want to just make sure that I get the correct kit from the start. These toys aren't cheap :-( -- Chris. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
