--- Begin Message ---

On 1/09/2015 6:43 AM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Jason Berenson wrote:

Was interested in getting any pointers anyone might have about
multihoming. I've got an ASN and am working on a /24 from ARIN now.  I
was thinking about a pair of Cisco 3560's one for each provider and I
was going to take default routes from each, one with a higher metric
and announce my prefix over the primary link and pad the secondary
link.  No customer or full tables needed.

I was thinking about vlan'ing each switch into half public half
private side also.  Any pointers or tips or recommendations would be
greatly appreciated. It's been a while since doing this type of stuff.

You might need to get your IPv4 space from one of your upstream
providers. As far as ARIN is concerned, that well is dry.

You will also want to start giving serious thought to IPv6.

I don't know how well 3560s handle BGP, but if you're just taking
default routes from your upstreams, the resource needs are pretty
light.  As the other person who responded mentioned - 4-byte ASNs could
be an issue as well.

3560's handle 4 byte ASNs just fine provided:

- You have sufficient flash. 4 byte ASN support in the Catalyst platforms was introduced in 15.2(1)E so this is the absolute minimum version you will need to run - and this image (in fact anything newer than 12.2(55)SE) requires 32M flash.

- You have the IPSERVICES image/license as BGP is not supported in IPBASE.

As you're only handling a handful of prefixes if you meet the requirements above you should be fine.

Reuben

--- End Message ---