I need to upgrade the edge router for one of my deployments.  Current 2811 is 
not expected to support the new WAN links.  I need 4-5 ports (copper is fine), 
aggregate throughput up to 125Mb (not accounting for future growth), BGP with 
3-5 peers and <100 routes, and QoS.  I don't ever expect to support telephony 
or MPLS.  Cisco's suggestion is to use an ISR4331.

The question is whether I should also consider an ASR920 for this role?  I've 
seen it mentioned on this list a few times.  It looks like both will fill my 
basic requirements, price points are similar, and both run IOS-XE.  The ISR's 
performance is capped at 300Mb, and I can add a small number of ports.  The 
ASR's performance is essentially unlimited, and I can add more ports (by 
purchasing licenses).  The ISR will do encryption if I ever need it, in 
software only, and the ASR will not.

Are there any major differences I am missing?  Any first-hand experiences would 
be especially appreciated.

Sincerely,
Michael

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to