On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 05:16:01PM +0000, Rick Martin wrote:
> 
> I am under pressure to consider third party maintenance providers for our 
> significant Cisco inventory, and I am quite leery of such an arrangement.  I 
> suppose third party maintenance may be OK for products that we have plenty of 
> spare inventory for such as customer edge routers or switches but the bigger 
> core, aggregation or data center devices that provide critical services I 
> have great concern. Our normal policy is to keep OEM maintenance in the 
> following order;
> 
> 1. Critical Devices which includes core routing, aggregation devices, data 
> center hardware and larger building routers - 24X7X4 hour RMA (Smartnet 
> Premium)
> 2. Customer edge devices - 8X5XNBD (Smartnet)
> 
> That methodology applies to Cisco and Juniper hardware. 
> 
> So my question is - do any of you that have larger enterprise or service 
> provider networks currently utilize third party (Non OEM) maintenance 
> contracts? If so what has been your experience with them? Or do you stick 
> strictly to OEM maintenance?

        If you purchase your own spares, you can often make due with a return 
to factory
model of parts replacement.  They will return you a new/refurbished part about
10 days after receipt of the failed one.

        Much of this depends on the commonality of the parts, any logistics 
you or a partner may have in providing that yourself.  Of course this depends
on the ability to triage yourself.  I've generally not had any issues with a
vendor when we say it failed, we swapped with spare, here's the serial.

        - Jared


-- 
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from [email protected]
clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are only mine.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to