On 1/24/17, James Bensley <[email protected]> wrote: > On 24 January 2017 at 10:04, <[email protected]> wrote: >>> Simon Lockhart >>> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:09 AM >>> >>> On Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 09:02:18AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote: >>> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 07:33:08PM -0500, Charles Sprickman via >> cisco-nsp >>> wrote: >>> > > I have to say, I haven???t been impressed with their support in a >>> > > long time. We have smartnet really just for hardware, and recently >>> > > I figured that since we have support, I???d actually try and offload >>> > > a task that I hate - picking a stable version of IOS that has all >>> > > the security issues resolved. >>> > >>> > Bwahahaha. Sorry. >>> >>> We were also told that if we wanted Cisco to do a 'bug scrub', to see if >> we >>> would be affected by any known bugs, then they offer this as a >>> seperately >>> chargeable service. Yes, really, they want us to pay them more money to >> find >>> out how buggy their code releases are... >>> >> How it works is .... > ... >> It's a long and tedious process and it costs a small fortune, but I think >> it's worth it. >> At least you get a more detailed map of the minefield. > > In the case of Cisco a bug scrub comes from Cisco AS. I could have > bought a house for the amount we spent with AS and not only that, we > could have just rented all the kit we need, done this ourselves in the > lab and probably had change for beer at the end. > > Also a month or two after our bug scrub was completed the new major > milestone/stable versions of code for the devices we had tested was > released (our scrub was finished when "X" was the stable recommend > version) so we said to our AS engineer "now that X+1 is out, and you > recommended X, do you think we should go for X" and they obviously > said "yes".
Interesting.. I'd get an offer for a bug scrub on the new version. > If you have the resources then I'm not such a fan of this service. On the other hand, when Cisco does a bug scrub they see _all_ the bugs, not just the publicly visible ones. There's been a couple of times I've gone back & forth with our AS engineer about the details of some bug that had no public description & a time or two when he suggested we hold off on an upgrade until after the psirt announcement. Regards, Lee _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
