On 23/01/2017 17:16, Rick Martin wrote:

I am under pressure to consider third party maintenance providers for
our significant Cisco inventory, and I am quite leery of such an
arrangement.  I suppose third party maintenance may be OK for

Ask yourself a couple of things:

1. Do you make use of the additional value of vendor maintenance over 3rd party to a level that justifies the price difference?

2. Have you correctly costed in the intangibles involved in accessing that additional value?

For hardware on common parts I would say there is likely to be no additional value. Sparing cat3/4/6k or n9k/UCS hardware is easy.

For rarer hardware you would want good guarantees that they are actually warehousing spares. I have seen more than one occurence of that not happening and biting people.

On Cisco RMAs - I have noticed a distinct trend in Cisco over the last few years to fail to deliver on NBD RMA. They seem to often breach the 15:00 deadline to declare it an RMA, in most case as a result of their actions. One assumes this isn't deliberate, but it is very annoying.

However, software is the real issue. As I'm sure you're aware, opening a software bug TAC case and driving it to completion can consume tens, sometimes hundreds of hours of your time. Ask yourself how often, given the size of your custom to Cisco, those fixes are going to be made in a time that is worth paying for, and how often your reporting it was the deciding factor.

I have historically been a proponent of vendor maintenance for software bugs, but we've used 3rd party maintenance - usually backed by the vendor at 3/4th tier - without problem on other platforms. They have found and fixed bugs at least as well as Cisco have. I would imagine a Cisco gold partner would be able to feed bugs into TAC just as well as you would directly.

Obviously you need software *upgrade* rights, always and every time on every platform I would argue.

In short - is the hassle & benefit of TAC access really worth it based on your previous experience? If so, go Cisco.

Cheers,
Phil
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to