--- Begin Message ---
Not sure whether this is helping or not Rick, but I have used Dimension Data 
maintenance before. They would sell you a straight SmartNet contract or their 
own in-house maintenance, which might or might not be backed by Cisco. I bought 
the former for less common equipment like large switches as it was cheaper than 
their in-house contracts. I bought their in-house maintenance for anything 
smallish as it was half the price of Cisco's. As for most common parts like 
switches, I kept spares on site wherever possible and do without a maintenance. 
This might not work for you if you are under compliance regulations that 
require such contracts. As for their service, I had no complaints but no 
praises either. It works, but you need to keep in mind that you are dealing 
with a huge company.



Cheers,Eli

      From: Rick Martin <[email protected]>
 To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
 Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 12:16 PM
 Subject: [c-nsp] Tabo Topic? Third party Maintenance
  

I am under pressure to consider third party maintenance providers for our 
significant Cisco inventory, and I am quite leery of such an arrangement.  I 
suppose third party maintenance may be OK for products that we have plenty of 
spare inventory for such as customer edge routers or switches but the bigger 
core, aggregation or data center devices that provide critical services I have 
great concern. Our normal policy is to keep OEM maintenance in the following 
order;

1. Critical Devices which includes core routing, aggregation devices, data 
center hardware and larger building routers - 24X7X4 hour RMA (Smartnet Premium)
2. Customer edge devices - 8X5XNBD (Smartnet)

That methodology applies to Cisco and Juniper hardware. 

So my question is - do any of you that have larger enterprise or service 
provider networks currently utilize third party (Non OEM) maintenance 
contracts? If so what has been your experience with them? Or do you stick 
strictly to OEM maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick Martin
Network Architect
State of Arkansas, Department of Information Systems
(501) 682-4037

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


   

   

--- End Message ---
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to