Hi all,

seems like I'll finally have to bite the bullet and move
BGP routing off of our Catalyst 6500. For the moment
we plan a gradual migration by connecting a pair of
as-small-as-sufficient routers, not switches, to the
existing infrastructure to run BGP to our transit providers
and leave the layer2 network in place for now.

Estimate is that the C6500 will be capable of running
layer 2 plus IGP (OSPF in our case) for another year
or so. We plan to move to a new data centre in that
time frame, so we can build everything from scratch
at the new location. For this time frame I need reliable
BGP routing at the old location with a modest investment.

ASR 9001 looks like a candidate, 4x 10GE and one
20x 1GE line card are definitely sufficient for the
foreseeable future.

Are there any licensing pitfalls I need to be aware of with
refurbished hardware and IOS-XR? Can anybody share
experience with the "cluster" license and feature for these
switches?

According to our supplier they feature 8 GB of memory
and "a couple of millions of routes (v4 and v6)" - correct?


Is there a viable alternative in the ASR 1k line of products?
2 rack units and low power consumption preferred.
And availability in the secondary market, of course ...


Any completely different product I overlooked?


Thanks in advance for your input.
Patrick

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Message signed with OpenPGP

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to