I read somewhere that a phone could generate up to 2.5x call traffic with
its BIB.  Multiplying by 3x would still be acceptable, I would think.

The 8000 is a burst threshold over the policed rate.  It's always been 8000
in my experience, but probably only because no one knows enough to adjust
it  You cannot have an average and a max rate with voice.  It's constant
(excluding VAD).  Video on the other hand is variable.

If you are studying for your CCIE, I can share with you that Cisco has
publicly stated they have some percentage of forgiveness.  I.e., If they
say 3 g711ulaw calls worth of bandwidth, and I enter 90*3=270, but you
enter 93*3=279 (or even round up to 280), we would both get the points.
What the percentage is, I don't recall.  I want to say it was like 10%.  So
for every 100kbps, you can be plus or minus 10kbps.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM abbas Wali <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> yes makes sense. but for the sake of argu. a single phone with even with
> BIB how many max g711 streams it can get to. 3? if so, for a safe figure
> can multiply by 3.
> moreover, I dont really understand this statement ​police 90500 8000 exc
> drop - as per docs, the actual transmission is 8k but on the avg. the max
> is 90k ( plz correct if wrong)
>
> On 15 April 2015 at 18:10, Anthony Holloway <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> After reading the Medianet document, I'm certain they are just giving you
>> an example, not a definitive answer nor the best practice.  While 128kbps
>> does police the port to a single g711ulaw call, it also allows for a little
>> wiggle room, which I like.  If you are looking for the absolute minimum
>> bandwidth needed for a g711ulaw call, you could go lower than 128kbps, but
>> you wouldn't gain anything.  Don't forget that the BIB of the phone could
>> cause more than a single call's worth of RTP to ingress the switch port, in
>> which case your 128kbps would not be enough and you would have issues with
>> things such as network recording or silent monitoring.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 9:19 AM abbas Wali <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> medianet is
>>>
>>> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html
>>>
>>> Vik's post
>>>
>>> http://www.collabcert.com/blog/qos/how-much-bandwidth-does-1-call-consume/
>>>
>>>
>>> On 15 April 2015 at 13:44, Anthony Holloway <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Can you link us to the sources in question? I personally need a little
>>>> more context to go with your question.
>>>>
>>>> In general, policing a single g711ulaw call is around 93kbps, and
>>>> rounding it to 100kbps still achieves the goal of policing a single call.
>>>> And yes, a class based policer would police media and signaling separately.
>>>>
>>>> Also, I saw something on medianet at last year Cisco Live, but other
>>>> than that, I'm clueless about medianet. I can't say if and how things
>>>> changed once medianet came in to the picture. I'm sure Vik wasn't
>>>> considering that either, based on the fact that he teaches CCIE Collab boot
>>>> camps, and medianet is not a part of the blueprint.
>>>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 4:22 AM abbas Wali <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> Vik Malhi posted that for a successful g711 call
>>>>>
>>>>> HQSW(config-pmap-c)#police 90500 8000 exc drop ! 0 packet loss
>>>>>
>>>>> now, as per Ciso medianet 4
>>>>>
>>>>> The VoIP and signaling traffic from the VVLAN can be policed to drop at 
>>>>> 128 kbps and 32 kbps, respectively (as any excessive traffic matching 
>>>>> this criteria would be indicative of network abuse)
>>>>>
>>>>> Question is 128 kbps supports 1 single voice stream of g711 OR if you go 
>>>>> with Vik, you need to multiply 90500 with the number of calls you need on 
>>>>> that port. I will assume that the sig is classified differently and 
>>>>> handled by diff policer on that port.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> many thanks
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> *Abbas Wali*
>>>>>  _______________________________________________
>>>>> cisco-voip mailing list
>>>>> [email protected]
>>>>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Abbas Wali*
>>>
>>
>
>
> --
> *Abbas Wali*
>
_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
[email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Reply via email to